End of Term 1 Meeting MinutesFri 30 Dec
A review of the last term, and the dumb stuff we are planning for next term!
- Term 1 Debrief?
- New Server Recap
- Organisation going forward
- Tech team?
- What to do with dust2
- Who helping?
- When? Term 3 W2/3
- DCS involvement?
- Location & Theme
- Feb 11-12th
- Who’s around?
- Any organizers?
- LTs debrief?
- Talks next term
- Freshers Event
- Treasurer review
- Term 2 timetable
- Academic events
- Qube x UWCS Challenge
- Migrate exec-priv to forum channel now we have those?
- New website work vaguely started
- Zola, Alex has started some bits a while back
- Brendan interested in helping
- Treasurer Report: still a lot of money
- Localtoast is our new server!
- Spent less than expected on servers
- Can sell on spare bits of servers
- Spent quite a bit on cameras
- Upgrade existing somewhat (RAM to dust2 and berillyum at least)
Overall server plan as it stands
- Lovelace is gateway server - dns, ports, ldap
- Hopper & milner: general shell account stuff?
- Berillyum: exec stuff in containers
- Dust2: screwing around with
- Localtoast: Members stuff, containers, etc.
- We now have wiki - access is cursed for now
- Build new PC - workshop?
- Change PSU on Big O
- Small form factor? - bit more interesting to build & cupboard space
- Progcomp marker - update, dockerize
- Dockerize and open source things for dcspkg and apollo - Joey
- Qube prog comp next term? - we get them to write a couple, include the actually good ones
- Gonna wipe old servers - announce migrate off soon & wipe W1
- Leo wants to do a full talk - ideally not the same as last time
- What weeks can Leo do?
- Accenture interested in another talk - in person this time
- Only if something actaully interesting and tech
- But unlikely
- (started a bit of a sponsor diversion)
- Ask G-Research about a talk and NLP Challenge
- Approach Rebellion approach in spring
- have had contact - get for unreal course?
- Keegan & Game Design Unreal course
- Brendan to maybe help
- Weeks 3-7 maybe - Needs to learn unreal before writing course
- Will be more blueprint stuff than C++ (later weeks)
- Lighting talk W3 & 8 - have some people already
- Blue Orchid (end of term meal place) was vaguely interested in some sponsor or student deals or something
- Maybe we say end of term meals there for discount? or general discount % off for members?
- More careers stuff - ask boomers for talks
- 3rd yp talks towards end of term
- Chemsoc comp bio talk - in return for chemcafe? - @Keegan Rimmington
- Chemcafe - not actually that many people interested in Python stuff there
- Should have as separate session next time
- Will do physcafe next term
- Have our own compcafe? See later
- Joey talked to Piotr about CodeSoc mini Java course
- Looked [REDACTED]
- Joey wants to do a couple of talks on some useful stuff for waffles replacement
- Talk to Richard? or someone else related to CS126 for advice or help
- Other possible ideas (talk/workshop):
- Podman/docker talk @Skiros
- Assembly (RISCV) @Keegan Rimmington ?
- QR Code workshop @Keegan Rimmington - If we want for beginners, do a beginner session before the interesting one
- New index controller (cracked and tracking iffy)
- LAN W2
- No specific plans yet
- Onion contact LAN setup person (Steve from Spectrum Services)
- Need quite a few events (inc WASD push)
- Mario Kart at DCS Christmas Party went well
- Mat wanted to help as PC shuttle if people want to bring their own (as car)
- Need Rota - especially for overnight
- Overnight movie night? or long game (civ?)
- Server over the weekend (Terraria/Minecraft)
- Fri 7 to Sun 6
- Announced 🎉
- Encourage signups at events
- Don't think Esports are especially interested
- Will be in SU atrium - more visibility
- Owen had meeting about tech yesterday
- Some tech we’ll need, but mostly things we’ll need to buy at some point anyway
- W6 Fri for elections
- Someone needs to figure out UWCS Vote
- And someone to run (returning officer)
- Term 3 week 3
- Some people questioning DCS involvement
- Want to retain full control
- DCS money needs to be spent on campus
- Can't hurt for publicity
- Preya doing WFS ball and Skiros involved in Pride - Can borrow some info
- Mia or Angelica lead commitee
- Alex, Joey, Owen (probably others) happy to help somewhat
- Subsidise? Skiros thinks is ok, despite usual reading of SU rules?
- SU rules say event has to break even or profit
- The general reading is that tickets have to pay for the whole event
- Skiros’ interpretation is that the SU has to break even, but UWCS funds could contribute to that
- Village Hotel (Cov), Chesterford Grange (food bit mid - skiros), glass house leam (cyber was there, was underwhelming, but v. pretty location (needs decorating tho))
- Warwick Castle - expensive af @Skiros check pride’s price tomorrow
- Leam Pump Room: v nice
- Look at warwick castle, riverside glass house, pump room for 50-60 people
- Maybe up to 100+
- Likely more people interested than we think
Events next term:
- Circle W1 TBar then Pop
- W3 circle as well?
- Chemsoc joint social?
- Bletchley park again?
- Ice skating - but expensive
- Obviously, everyone’s busy, but publicity has been going out a bit late
- Partly due to publicity not being too proactive
- Partly being event detailed only finalized last minute
- Brendan proposes Publicity restructure a bit
- Andreea to do schedule
- Brendan do special events graphics
- Ella for some more story + routine stuff
- Inter-publicity comms hasn’t been great
- Process in person pics
- Meeting over christmas
- Welcome week went v well
- Python course when decently, but we pulled more weight
- Very good initial attendance - drop off W3 - 20-30 people last week
- Certificates to go out @Keegan Rimmington
- Rust course was very good
- Maybe add slightly more guidance on the Rust way of doing things
- CHIP8 spec scared people off
- Maybe have a compcafe
- MB001 (always empty) Tuesday - @Funk Pigeon contact dept
- Snacks and cw help and stuff
- We’ll help with PhysCafe
- Lightning Talks
- OC003 - too big for number of people
- Timing was not the best
- 2nd batch felt better - but was later than ideal (5pm after CtF)
- Stay with 2 batches - W3 & 8
- Academic talks - alright but then there was Accenture
- Tech Team has been getting into gear
- Requires non-exec to be (too?) proactive to be involved
- Have PC Building workshop to get people more interested early next term
- FNG been much better, but skill issue for LANs
- Some sponsors want insta posts in new year
- Migrate exec-priv to forum channel @Keegan Rimmington
- Push new site to GitHub @Alex Wright
- More work on new site @Alex Wright @brendan (@Keegan Rimmington has some ideas)
- Setup some ports and access stuff for localtoast and beryllium @Skiros
- Write wiki bits (all tech) - Tech/everyone @Joey to manage
- Dockerize and document dcspkg @Joey
- Dockerize and document apollo @Owen Connors
- Updates to progcomp marker (check issues) @Keegan Rimmington @Owen Connors
- Announce wipe of servers @feriks or @Skiros
- Contact Leo about when talk? @feriks
- Contact G-Research about talk @Joey or @Funk Pigeon
- Learn Unreal ASAP @Keegan Rimmington
- Unreal course @Keegan Rimmington @brendan (?)
- Talk to Chemsoc about comp bio talk @Keegan Rimmington
CS118 follow on @Joey
- Talk to Richard about? @brendan
- PSU for Big O - SOMEONE
- Index Controller - @Jake
- New PC (workshop?) @Joey
- Wipe servers W1