About the society
CompSoc is one of the busiest societies at Warwick. We organise a variety of academic and gaming activities:
- Talks from current and former members, as well as external speakers with research and industry backgrounds.
- Programming workshops.
- Programming competitions and hackathons.
- Friday Night Gaming: a weekly gaming session in the Department of Computer Science building, 7pm until late! See the events page for details.
- LAN parties: twice a term we all bring our PCs onto campus for the weekend to play games and eat pizza. Some information on what to bring to LANs and what to expect can be found here.
- Online gaming: we run regular gaming sessions through our Discord server!
- A week-long LAN party at the end of term three: Summer LAN!
- A weekly pub social: to have dinner, drinks, and conversations.
- One-off socials such as going paintballing, go-karting, or to the local waterpark. Sometimes we attend with other societies, such as our annual tradition to take on the Tabletop Society at Laser Quest!
We offer a wide range of technical services to our members
- We run an IRC network at irc.uwcs.co.uk. The main channel is #compsoc. A guide to connecting to us can be found here.
- Website hosting and database hosting for all our members, go to your profile on this website to create your web hosting account!
- A tech team dedicated to maintaining our services and equipment, as well as providing some tech support for our members.
- A server cluster located in the Department Of Computer Science.
- Free 3D printing services.
We'd like to thank our sponsors for the current academic year. They can be found here.
The society is open to anyone interested in any aspect offered by the society; people who are interested solely in the gaming and social side as opposed to the academic side are welcome, and vice versa. Technical or not, if you’re interested in what we do, we’d love to see you at our events. If you want to to know more about the society, why not contact the exec?