Minnits - 15th February 2001Thu 15 Feb Meeting Minutes
Compsoc Exec Minnits
15th February 2001
- All but James Ross, who foolishly decided his lecture was more important.
- Computer Console Society
- Email List
- Courses for New Exec
- 48hr LAN
- Next Meeting
The Antichris has obtained contact details for one Mike Cowlishaw (sp?) in DCS, who apparently has somethingorother to do with IBM. Mike (Squire, not Cowlishaw) to talk to Mike (Cowlishaw, not Squire), since he at least sort of knows him.
Kilgore mailed Tim Clark, but Tim hasn’t repsonded. Antichris to mail him again to make sure he’s still alive. If he isn’t, then we’ll kill him. The now-infamous SQWAT team shall strike again!
3. Computer Console Society
Speaking of striking again… The Computer Console Society has sent us a barbed-ish email offering a game of ‘Prefect Lark’ or something to settle who gets the ‘Computing’ name. Several responses were considered:
- Agreeing so as to find a time and place their exec will all be in the same room, then dropping a .5kT in the general vicinity. Disregarded since it may damage relations with the Onion. Along with the Onion itself, Costcutter, Xananas, Lazer Lizard, Senate House, the Arts Centre, and in fact most of the rest of campus. Although on the plus side, not only would we have taken out the Computer Console Society, but we’d have dealt with that meddlesome Kone once and for all.
- Agreeing then turning up not with two consoles, as requested, but two Athlon 1GHz machines running UltraHLE, so as to do away with that annoying can’t-use- joypad-to-play-FPS thing. Afterwards we challenge them to a return match on our turf - we play them at Counterstrike, and just so they don’t get uncomfortable with /our/ config, they use Joypads. Disregarded because we don’t actually want to agree to the idea that they might possibly have a claim to the name.
- Agreeing, then just turning up with baseball bats with nails in, knuckledusters, steel-rulers-o-doom and other beating instruments, and just doing what comes naturally. Disregarded since we think Knuckledusters are actually illegal.
- Just Say No. Which we decided was actually the most prudent course of action. We were offered to play Goldeneye instead, which HolyChris claims to be ‘Killer’ at, but we’re not even going to play them at a friendly, because - quite frankly - they’re a bunch of fuckwit moron ratbastards, and we have better things to do. Or something.
- We still haven’t heard anything from the Onion on the matter, but hey - they’re slow at the best of times. HolyChris to draft an email response - mind-numbingly polite, for PR reasons - that we get to check over before sending. Jake’s suggestion that it should begin ‘Dear Fuckers…’ and carry on in a similar vein was disregarded, again on PR grounds.
HolyChris to get Laminator specifications, so we can perform a application/time analysis and pair it with the findings from our existing durability report to determine if lamination or coldseal is the way to go next year. Lamination has the advantage that - bar taking weaponry/fire/etc. to it - the card is practically indestructible, but the disadvatnage that if it’s a low-end laminator, we’re likely to be able to coldseal faster, even /if/ HolyChris is completely incapable of sealing them. Coldseal has the speed advantage, but it isn’t nearly as swanky as Lamination and makes us look like a cheap contended to FilmSoc’s Most-Swanky-Society crown.
Meanwhile, Kilgore to look out for Smaller coldseal thingies so someone doesn’t have to spend their summer cutting the pouches down to the size we need.
“It’s a non-point” - Senõr Spielbergo
6. Email List
“I haven’t had it yet” “No, it doesn’t look like you have.” - Kilgore and a Waitress.
“I am immune to temperature” - Richard ‘Toaster’ Colfer
The new members of the exec have now been added to the dreaded Compsoc-Exec email list, meaning that they get spammed with crap every time Chris is feeling depressed.
Still on for 7:30, Varsity, Friday of Week 9.
CS7.1 moved, seconded and passed at AGM. Fish to burn several (4) CS1.0 CDs for those members who want to game on the ‘net at gaming sessions, and Jake ’Still too cool to have a silly nickname’ Staines to bring 7.1 CD to reinstall sometime over the weekend.
Mike wants to help Henry with the Perl tutorials. PHP tutorials for weeks 18-20, Ryan to book rooms. Henry to do Perl tuts weeks 22-25 - book next term. Look at timetables to see when we should do them. Jake to do posters for both events.
At next meeting, old exec to take back seat then handover after next meeting. They still have to teach the new exec everything they know, mind.
11. Courses for New Exec
Jake to look out for courses:
- Duty of Care - Nutsy
- Managing your Money - Alexis
- First Aid - Henry
- Equiopps - Colfer
for new exec.
Chris ‘Goldeneye’ Smith to book Laserquest for wednesday of week 7. £5 for three games, with NUS. £1.30 to get return bus ticket, prefereably 4-5pm.
13. 48hr LAN
Try to book for 10am Saturday to 10pm Sunday. So, more of a 36-hour LAN, then. Oh well. Antichris to book room, since he has been maintaining such good relations with the room-booking-woman. Weekend of week 2 next term (22).
14. Next Meeting
Meet in Bitchtank, 2pm