Remote Hackathon - Challenge 1
Mon 27 Apr
Update: We have extended the deadline to midnight on Sunday 10th May due to new information about the prizes.
This will be the first in a series of remote hackathons each lasting a week with a theme to develop a piece of software in! You can take part either individually or as a team, and there are prizes available for the best submissions (see below for details!)
The communities we are in are more important now than ever, so we think it would be great to see if you can develop some sort of application (probably web!) that provides some sort of community value.
Everyones in many different communities, from your friends and family, sports clubs, societies, local area, along with many more! Because of this we don’t want to be too prescriptive of what exactly you might want to make, as it’ll be different for all of you.
We know it’s quite a broad theme however so we have some ideas if you need help getting started:
- Recreate a physical game to work in a web browser (for example how Pretend You’re Xyzzy cloned Cards against Humanity)
- A scoring/competition system for your sports club or society to use next year
- A messenger app with some novel addition
- A tool to help your local area keep in contact or request help if they need it
There’ll be lots of technical things to think about especially if its web based (which we imagine most will be to tie into the community theme!), including your choice of language, security constraints, syncing data in real-time, etc!
Good luck and we can’t wait to see what you come up with.
Prizes sponsored by the department:
First Prize - £200 Amazon Voucher
2 Runners up - £150 Amazon Voucher
(you must be a current student to be eligible for these prizes)
If you would like to discuss, we recommend coming and asking questions in the #progcomps channel on our discord!
There are multiple ways you can submit your applications at the end of the challenge:
- If you have given us a github repository when signing up, we can take your submission from there,
- you can email it to us,
- or you can host it yourselves and email us a link to the page!
You can signup and register your interest on the following Google Form (ignore the 'There are no sign ups for this event' at the bottom of the page): https://forms.gle/DrQGZwQ1LuETaX3EA