Minutes 2018-04-24 (Term 3 Week 1)
Posted on 24th April 2018
Present UWCS Exec: David I, David II, Sam, Amelie, Karkeys, Ed, Rob
Present eSports Exec: Sam, Charlie, Alex
Absent: Everyone else. Obviously.
- Who can attend?
- David I and Sam (eSports president) have agreed that as long as someone is a member of either eSports or UWCS then they can attend.
- People have been complaining about paying the £22 SocsFed fee in order to join the society just for BFL.
- We may organise event tickets for BFL for those who are not members of the society, although we do not know the SU's stance on us doing this.
- This system may be used for LANs next year.
- Do we want a ROG bus on campus for a day during BFL?
- Why not?
- Where would we put it?
- Piazza seems like a good spot, can probably use the part used by the Food Market.
- When would we have it?
- Wednesday is the non-WASD day, so that would probably be best.
- Some people try to "pro" LANs, supplying some amenities as a society may be worthwhile.
- Things like bottled water, possibly some snacks, could be provided for members during BFL.
- Need to check that we can reasonably afford this.
- NUEL have provided a £100 ROG headset for us to raffle.
- They have also provided 12 laptops for use in competition etc.
- We'll probably attempt to run signups like we would for VR stuff.
- Obviously we don't want someone using it for all 5 days, but we shouldn't need to worry about that.
- All they'd like in return are photographs for promotion purposes.
- Overclockers have been contacted regarding sponsorship, but we haven't heard back yet.
- Planning to use ~warwick.gg~ as our website signups won't work with the eSports people.
- Still very much in development.
Streaming and WASD
- eSports don't have a streaming rig, but they do have a lot of assets that they've used in the past.
- We have Kernigan, our VR and streaming PC that we've used for WASD successfully in the past.
- David I will end up sorting out a lot of the actual streaming setup, using OBS and the open-sourced GDQ software.
- If WASD is to be on the front page of Twitch, then we need entertaining runs.
- Fortunately, we're not competing for the speedrunning viewership during WASD *cough* GDQ *cough*.
- Ideally have no more than 5 seconds of dead air from the commentators, need to find suitable people.
- WASD signups need to have and end date at some point.
- LoL and Overwatch tournaments will be happening.
- CS:GO and Hearthstone tournaments may be happening.
- CompSoc have been sent Discord swag which we can hand out as tournament prizes or raffle away at BFL, includes about 15 T-Shirts, badges, etc.
- eSports have Twitch jerseys and bags to give away as well.
- We'll 3D-print trophies for tournaments.
Gaming and Hardware
- We're closing at 12AM this week, because exec have exams the next day. This has gone in the newsletter.
- We have new switches and wirless hardware.
- Neumann, our Dijkstra replacement, should be good to go, need to test it.
- Will want to run a mock LAN setup at some point, probably at a Gaming.
- Gaming officers - we need some.
- Probably will advertise in ~#announcements~.
- Will review 2 weeks from now.
TPP Pub Quiz
- Now looking at Friday 11th May (Week 3) in the Graduate, before Gaming.
- Don't know about prizes yet, but possibly Raspberry Pis and hampers of some sort.
3D Printer Talk
- We can put this off until next term, when interest is likely to be higher.
- Want to run Linux 101 talk on the 25th of September (during Week 0) next term, and roll into Gaming.
- Not organising the Science execs social at the beginning of next year.
- Will likely run Laser Tag as per usual.
- May also want to do go karting or trampolining.
- We want a BFL pub.
- End of term meal probably on Friday week 9.
- May reconsider circling.
David I - Email security regarding massive bus.
David I - Check with the SU regarding event tickets for LANs.
Amelie - Ask how WSC do ticketing.
Sam (eSports) - Find out how many people play CS:GO and other games for tourney viability.
David II - Try to find Steam password, check with Brandon.
David II - "That part's not going in the minutes, Sam."
David I - "Don't put that in the minutes."