Minutes 2016-10-13 (Term 1 Week 2)
Posted on 14th October 2016
Present: rhiba, tankski, Zoggoth, kirby, Phillammon, Sam, dixon (late)
- Big screen (but Jai isn't here). Jai please report back to rhiba on the
status. Probably have to be week 3 or 5.
- Cisco event. Rhiba spoke to the brand ambassador for Cisco today, she's very
nice. Arranged a talk for Week 6, maybe 7 or 8, on Wednesday. Hoping for six
because we need a talk for then.
- Programming competition also provided by Cisco, as well as prizes. They may
be too hard, so rhiba may write her own for the beginners. Wednesday afternoon
on either week 7 or 9 (not 8 that's LAN).
- Talk of another Women in Computing event with Cisco, but also Addy and Eliana,
probably in Term 2.
- rhiba has arranged a meeting with Addy and Eliana to register as a hub for the
Google #Code Competition, hubs are needed because it's a large competition.
- Give the Grad a Go (graduate recruitment company) wants to sponsor us, they
wanted between bronze and silver. Will come back with actual requests.
- Teach kirby to send newsletters.
- Make a seating plan for the website (David), preferably a week before LAN.
- Roger came to rhiba to ask that we clean /var/ after gaming. Hopefully
automate on logoff, might have to be manually run by Jai / Luke / Sam.
- Reminder to rhiba to fill money requests forms for pizza and tripods.
- Shell talk / Linux 101 went great, very good turnout. Advanced Shell Talk in
week 9 or week 7, dependent on the programming competition, or week 10.
- Gaming teardown was surprisingly fine. Officers are free to use discretion for
when to tear down.
- rhiba: Print off cupboard pictures.
- rhiba: Get gaming cupboard keys cut. LAN cupboard if it's really needed.
- David: Alias tech-team to techteam
- rhiba: Check where it says firstname.lastname@example.org
- David: Add Sam to the exec mailing list (email@example.com).
- David's aside - Roger came to us and described the LAN cabling is shoddy.
Word on the street is they were rescued from a skip. Should probably get new
ones. We have a lot of cable so we can use the old reels.
- rhiba: Email guy back about LAN room.
- Currently no exam LAN. Consider hosting one in the Oculus?
- Roger (through the CSC) has come into possession of four large switches.
Options are: replace the servers, or use for LANs (they are too big and too
heavy). Sort out by week 5.
- Possibly buy new power supplies for switches.
- David: Fix password reset on the website
- rhiba: Buy out Yoga Soc for room booking
- David: Fix the black magic box