Minnits - 3 February 2002
Posted on 4th February 2002
h3. Compsoc Exec Minnits
h4. 3 February 2002
* Henry Southgate
* Alexis Birkill
* James Ross
* Tom Ward
* Jake Staines
* Shris Smith
* Richard Colfer
* Tom Cropper
* Dave de la Motte
h4. 1. s6
So far, we've still to have confirmation from Room Bookings about s6. Nutsy to chase them up.
Concerns were raised about the security aspect of the room. It is, however, surrounded by curtains, so these may be closed in order to give some semblence of protection.
All people who are not playing multiplayer games will be politely asked to leave. This is to maximise game time.
Voting will take place via paper slips. The AGM to start at 5:00pm, with the voting commencing at half past the hour, on Saturday. The cutoff for nominations will be Thursday, mid-day.
After the humongous cock-up that was the signup fiasco for s6, we now have a list full of people when it shouldn't be. H to mail the list asking people to cancel if they're not going to come along to the LAN.
If future, we'll open signups two weeks before the event.
Another issue of contention WRT this LAN is that we were asked by Chris Fanning if two of his friends from home could attend, each paying a tenner. A vote was held, the three choices being:
# Yes, irrefutable entrance this time.
# Friends to be added to the bottom of the signup list.
# No, no entry.
The votes recorded were 0, 4 and 3, and the motion that they be added to the foot of the signup list was carried.
In future, we will allow guests to sign up one week in advance of the event; this gives members a better opportunity. James Ross to create a 'Guest' web account to facilitate this.
h4. 2. BFL / The Final Frag
Since we've had a lot of contention with this LAN, the exec have decided to hold a moderately-large LAN during Week 30. JR to put up a preliminary signups in order to guage numbers; this will be non-commital on either party.
Nutsy to book.
h4. 3. Budget
Nothing's happened yet - no forms filled.
Alexis has investigated UPSs. An APC UPS will cost £75, and will have USB control. He's looked into Linux compatibility, and it looks OK. The UPS is capable of running a machine on half load for 21 minutes, which should give ample time to shut down.
h4. 4. CAT5
The CAT5 business is finally in the black - with £5 left over - and has already taken over 100m in pre-orders. Henry to buy a crimping tool and 300m of CAT5 cable. The currently used crimping tool to be returned to Nick, and the new one to be claimed back from the Union.
h4. 5. Molotov
Molotov currently has many many passwords, almost all of which are the same password. These need to be sorted.
* Level 1 - This will be the root password, and will be used for all systems administration tasks, including MySQL and the DNS.
* Level 2 - This will be the password used by the exec for exec business. For example, operserv, exec-MySQL, the exec account, and suada login. It will be the Heniz password
* Level 3 - This password will be used to administer services - for example the 'servers' user account, and the associate logins. The L3 password will be the password formally known as Atomz.
* Level 4 - This password will concern gaming activities. It will be the rconPassword used for game servers, as well as the login for the suahu ITS account. This password may be distributed to trusted members.
H to organise the changing of the passwords
h4. 6. Shop
The shop is back! Current problems include:
* It would be nice for the categories to appear in the breadcrumbs.
* Netscape is lame.
* The blue buttons look bad; this is because they've not got the background and bookends for which they were designed. Jake to draw.
* The search page needs a "Can't find what you're looking for? Search on Amazon!" box.
* The Add Wizard: A note needs to be added such that if a book being entered has more than one author, the surname should end in "Et al". Films should have the director entered as the author.
h4. 7. Academia
By this time, everyone was bored and fed up with the meeting and so decided to sod the rest of it and come back next week.
Everyone to write a revision guide if they feel like it.